Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Nov 27 - 29 - Last few days

I thought I'd combine the last few days of events.  Mom and Dad have left now for the airport and right now I'm suffering from a broken heart.  All those feelings I've spent the last 6.5 years suppressing are very much alive.  Will there ever be a time when I'm not homesick?  I love Australia and I will never leave, but part of me still belongs somewhere else. 

On to a happier note, we had a lovely last weekend.  Saturday Ian and Jen came to visit and Darren made a lovely roast beef dinner.  We had planned to do a drive to Victor Harbor in the afternoon but the weather wasn't all that great so we gave it a miss.  I was a bit disappointed because of all the traveling we did, we never made it to Victor Harbor which is so close to where we live!

On Sunday we all went to church.  After church mom and dad wanted to take us out to lunch so we went to a Chinese restaurant in McLaren Vale.  They were open, but there were no cars, and there was nobody in the restaurant at 12.30pm.  Not the signs of a good place to eat!  So we decided to go to a little Chinese restaurant in Christies Beach that we use to go to.  We got there....and they were CLOSED!!!!!  By this time we were all pretty hungry so we decided on Fasta Pasta.  I know mom isn't a pasta lover, but she really enjoyed it.  We all did!  After our meal we headed to the shopping centre.  Mom and dad wanted to pick up a few last minute things. 

We headed back home and relaxed for the rest of the evening.  Mom and Dad bought us a thank you gift for having them.  It's a beautiful set of Christmas dishes!  I love them!!!  They'll come in handy at Christmas time when everyone is here. 

Monday was rest/packing day.  Well, that's what it was suppose to be!  I puttered around while mom did most of her packing to go home.  Darren decided to go have the car washed and took Dad with him.  They left around 10:30am and didn't get home until 3:30pm!  They ended up going to Victor Harbor and Waitpinga beach!!  Squeezing in a last minute tour.  I was glad that at leat Dad got to go to VH. 

While they were out, Darren bought some Flathead fish to have for dinner.  Dad, being allergic to fish, had a nice lamb chop.  The fish was so good!  I think mom really enjoyed it.

We spent the evening chatting, and shedding a few tears.  The kids said their goodbyes before they went to bed because we got up at 4am in order for mom, dad and Darren to be out the door by 5am. 

So I guess by lunch, the Dunnetts will no longer be down under!  I'll do a final post when they've landed back home safely.

Cheryl

Pictures from November 27-28th:
Pictures from November 29th:

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the time and effort put into this blog Cheryl.....I, along with so many others, enjoyed every word of it. Gave us an "almost like being there" experience!!!! Words can't express how thrilled I am that Verna and Elwood finally made it to see all of you. I know it must be so hard right now...but all the wonderful memories can change that pain to joy at least momentarily..I can just imagine the discussions taking place on that plane right now...about how and when they are gonna make the next trip. I used to wish to win the Lottery just so I could send them "Down Under".. Now it would be to send all of you to the Nor'West AND Sou'West of course...Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience with us. Love, Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good-bye always stinks!! I remember that feeling the morning mom and dad left us in Thailand. No other words but broken-hearted... But it looks like you had a wonderful time with them and that is something you'll always have!! Who knows, maybe someday we'll be saying good-bye after a visit together - your place or mine??

    Love you guys!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao Cheryl

    I don't think that I could say it any better than Holly did... but it was such a treat for me to be able to see all the photos of Mom and Dad there with you guys. I saw some awesome times and a lot of happy faces. It was as if I was there but not... and so nice.

    You did a terrific job on taking photos, posting photos and telling a story about your adventures with Mom and Dad... I know that it took a lot of time to do this.. but.. (((HUGS))) I am so happy that you did. Thank you!!

    I am feeling for you right now... wish that I was there to give you a hug because I understand all too well how your heart is feeling. Torn between two lovers.. ha ha ha actually torn between two countries...

    Thank you so much Cheryl.

    I love you so much my dear Sister and I am so proud of you too.

    Hugs & Kisses
    Love
    Shelley
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Cheryl I am really sad to see this end for a couple of reasons. I am sad for you, so far away from your family, I know how lonesome you must be, I am sad that your blog is ending because I will miss you and all your funny little daily life stories. I feel like I really got to know my cousin's(you to Shelly)through your comments and pictures. YOu may have missed your calling, you could write a book! lol I will follow you through facebook, keep posting lots of pictures. Take care, hugs from your cousin in Miramichi, Anne

    ReplyDelete